5 Free Ways to Promote a Forum

Discussion in 'Articles' started by karoshio, Jun 22, 2012.

A forum by Ionicware
  1. karoshio Administrator

Message Count:
    5 Free Ways to Promote a Forum

There are many ways to promote your new or old forum and this article will cover five methods that you can use that are absolutely free. Advertising can get expensive if you decide to go the paid route so finding methods that cost very little or even nothing at all can be ideal and still be very beneficial to you and the ultimate success of your forum.

Forum Posting
    There are many forums out there that allow you to post some type of advertisement or include a link in your signature. Doing a simple Google search using search term Promotion Forums will fetch many results for you to start with. When posting, include a link to your forum in your signature (if allowed) so that even casual discussion can end in a promotional message.

As mentioned, some forums allow you to post a thread directly advertising your forum. If you go this route, be sure to be as informative as possible about what people can find at your forum and why they should join. This is your chance to shine and make your forum stand out to your potential memberbase.

Make sure your forum posts are high quality as well as abiding by any rules found on the forum. Posts that may be considered spam will not benefit you and will actually have a negative impact on your forums appearance before anyone even clicks to visit.

Facebook
    Using Facebook for more than FarmVille or connecting with friends is another method that is available to you at a very low price, free! Creating a Facebook group and getting everyone you know to “Like” the page is a great way to gain more exposure.

Be sure to post any news or upcoming events on Facebook just as you would on your forum. Letting people know that your forum is moving strong will encourage them to at least check it out if not register and become involved.

Twitter
    Creating a Twitter account and following those that are related to your niche can prove to be beneficial as well. Tweeting things that are happening on your forum such as upcoming contests or some informative posts that may be of use to those following you will yield the best results.

Again, keeping your Twitter account active is the best route and will prove to provide the best results as people will begin to get curious and visit your forum with the potential of joining.

Forum Contests
    While the contest alone may not be free because you need a prize of some sort, advertising the contests can be and is a great way to add grounds for your promotion. Many people on forums enjoy participating in contests so giving them something to interact with can increase your forums activity and be beneficial for you in the long run.

Some of the promotion forums that you will find allow you to post a separate thread about “what’s going on” type news. This is a great opportunity for you to take advantage of that category and post about your contest at no charge to you.

Word of Mouth
    You probably have friends that share your same interests so why not tell them about your forum? You are your forums biggest fan so talking about your forum and getting your friends to check it out is a very important method and incredibly easy. Not only are your forums more receptive than a stranger, but they will also tell you what they think about your forum with more credibility because they are your forum.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.

2. Shole Member

Message Count:
    Word of Mouth
    That's probably the strongest promotion that exists. If your forum is good so good that people talk about it you wont have any problems with activity .
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.

3. Atlaerom Member

Message Count:
    I've been whoring out Global247 on Twitter for ages.
    It's gained a HEAP of guests...But not a single member at all. :/

I think the vast majority of the guests are bots anyway.

4. jglover4168 Member

Message Count:
    I think a good way to get members is to do post exchanges, and try and get those members to stick around even longer. It's worked for me but you have to really be on your A game and literally woo people. It also helps if your forum is interesting and a good forum.

5. MyDigitalpoint Member

Message Count:
    Very true and, in addition, people who comes after being recommended to do so are usually among the most loyal members, probably because their good friends are also there to have fun together.

6. Shole Member

Message Count:
    Yup i am a former staff and a lot of people are friendly there of course there is this anger that comes along with new members that post really off topic questions XD

7. Smokey Member

Message Count:
    All very good promotion tools and if used properly can be very affective in attracting new members. :)

8. Asher ross New Member

Message Count:
    That is really good information. I really enjoyed it.

9. dorothymoreno54 New Member

Message Count:
    Very nice article. I think that the number one way to promote a site is with Word of Mouth also, that has proven to bring good results. Also Facebook and Twitter I agree that this are also great ways to get the word out and have more visitors to your forum. I like the other suggestion you made to do a search on Promotions Forums, I am going to try that one! Thanks for you article it was really helpful.

10. LunarScorpio Member

Message Count:
    These are great tips and probably the best methods of promoting I've had experience with. I have to do some more word of mouth work as I think that's probably the best way of promoting.

11. hawkthorne New Member

Message Count:
    One cunning way I've found for getting new members is to advertise for staff - I am genuinely looking for some, but people love the prospect of being a potential moderator and post in a very high quality and frequent manor, which is of course brilliant for any board :)