Why I love vBulletin but don't use it right now.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Dr. Pasta, Jan 17, 2012.

A forum by Ionicware
  1. Dr. Pasta Member

Message Count:
    Well I love vBulletin over all of the other forum softwares, but recently decided to use phpBB for my new forum. Why? Free updates, and support and I only have v4.0.4 for vBulletin and unfortunately that sucks because I cannot find any styles that work for it. Oh well.

However, the reason I love vBulletin and have used it over everything else in the past is because:
    -Huge variety of options already built in.
    -Thousands of modifications, addons, and styles.
    -A humongous forum support system.
    -Easy to use.

However, because of the price, I could not honestly recommend anyone to buy it - free and cheaper forum software is definitely catching up.

2. karoshio Administrator

Message Count:
    You make some very good points, Dr. Pasta. vBulletin is great but with the free alternatives and even the other paid ones being much cheaper it's really not worth the money.

If you're a long time vB user I can understand sticking to it but if you're starting up something new then there's not a lot of reasons left to actually make it your choice of software.

3. ShadowKage Kages for Ages

Message Count:
    I was impressed by it when I first looked it ( I was new to all these that time ) but now vB is dying. My new paid fav are IPB and XF and in free defiantly MyBB.

4. Reverend Chaos Member

Message Count:

5. forumhookers Member

Message Count:
    I never looked in to VB , the one which attracts me is IPB

6. Reverend Chaos Member

Message Count:
    Vb is far from dead.....the only reason IPB and XF are more attractive especially to this younger group starting all these gaming forums is the price. I have used IPB paid and had an XF license at one time.....IPB is just to plain jane and XF is to cartoonish looking for my taste.

Not everyone can afford Vb and had it not been for a stroke of luck in the monetary department I would not have it either. Bottom line it's up to the individual.

7. ZINC Member

Message Count:
    I haven't looked much into VB because it just looks so old and unloved.

8. FireTech Speak of the devil.

Message Count:
    I think vBulletin would be fine if it was a free but I would never use my money on a license.

9. Alex Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

"-Thousands of modifications, addons, and styles."

You love it because it has thousands of styles but you aren't using it because you're unable to find a style... :p

But yes, vBulletin is a great forum software and it's still probably in the lead but XF is quickly moving up and of course, IPB, my personal favorite is still running strong.

10. ZINC Member

Message Count:
    I don't think I'd use it if it was free either!

11. Alex Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Why not? You really think it looks old compared to SMF, phpBB and some of the other forum software out there?

12. ZINC Member

Message Count:
    Just don't like it for multiple factors, if it was free, I would use phpBB still.

13. Alex Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, I guess it is all personal preference... vB is definitely not my personal favorite, but I would have to say it's better then most.

The price though is still outrageous and they just keep increasing it.

14. ZINC Member

Message Count:
    Do they even update it much or is it like phpBB where they hardly update it and when they do, it's just a bug fix?

15. Alex Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oh they update it a lot as far as I know, but I don't personally think the updates they make deserve to increase the price as much as they do.

Look at IPB. They have grown greatly since 2.3.6 when I started using it and their price hasn't changed at all.

16. FireTech Speak of the devil.

Message Count:
    It's better than most free forums softwares but I haven't seen a forum paid forum software that's worse than vB

17. ZINC Member

Message Count:

I quite like IPB!

@firetech burningboard isn't much better than vB, has a long way to go though.

18. FireTech Speak of the devil.

Message Count:
    Never heard of burningboard so that's probably why I think vB is the worst paid forum software.

19. Alex Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've heard about BurningBoard but I've never actually looked into it or even tried it.

20. ZINC Member

Message Count:
    Burning board won the Commercial Forum Software of 2011 award.